Subject: Re: list vs. newsgroup
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:19:36 +0000

In article <199702151915.LAA22628@server.mtsi.com>, Michael Leitheiser
<flyh2o@mtsi.com> writes
>Excellent summary by Dan....Newsgroups somehow always manage to sink to the
>lowest possible common denominator.

Agreed. The Nedium Format Digest, referred to in one of these threads as
an example of how things should be, is in fact a mailing list also, not
a newsgroup. The medium format newsgroup rec.photo.medium.format, in
comparison, is open to spam and the abuse of its contributors by those
"passing through", something that was happening there quite recently.
What was particularly annoying about that was that no-one was able to do
anything about it. Anyone, no matter how mentally unbalanced, can post
to a newsgroup.

>At 09:50 AM 2/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>I am in favor of keeping the LUG as a mailing list for the following reasons:
>>
>>1)      the list is more reliable.  I find that a certain percentage of
>>postings to newsgroups never make it.  This can happen with email as well
>>but is much less prevalent.
>>
>>2)      mailing lists are faster.  It can take as long as a week for a post
>>to a newsgroup to make its way to news servers around the world.  I have
>>verified this with the two ISPs that I currently subscribe to.
>>
>>3)      news groups tend to become unruly, and there is going to be much non
>>leica related junk making its way into the group.  Moderating the group will
>>make the group that much more inefficient.
>>
>>4)      people who pay access charges can read their email offline.  I don't
>>think this is possible with the newsgroups (apart from reading the headers)
>>
>>One possible benefit of newsgroups is the ability of posting binaries (i.e.
>>photographs) for perusal from other LUG members.  The problem with this is
>>that technically binaries are not supposed to be posted to rec.*.* groups.
>>
>>Just my opinions, FWIW.
>>
>>Dan C.
>>

>Mike Leitheiser
>
>"When the trout are lost, smash the state."
>                                   Tom McGuane

Just out of curiosity, do many trout get lost nowadays?
- --
JB