Subject: Re: should I keep the Leica?
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 22:40:03 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Donal Philby wrote:

> Patrick Sobalvarro wrote:
> >
> >    From: photo@mich.com (C. Fitzgerald)
> >    Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:16:39 -0500
> >
> >    Hi, I'm curious what you on this list think.
> >    1) What's your opinion of using Leica, versus collecting?  Am I
> >    correct to assume my Leica equipment will 'depreciate', if the use
> >    shows, and on the other hand it will 'appreciate' if held and not
> >    used?
>
> I really "appreciate" my Leica stuff.  And the more I use it the more I
> "appreciate" it.  And the more images I sell.  And that is the best to
> "appreciate" a Leica.
>
> Donal Philby
> San Diego

It was once suggested to E. Leitz GMbH that they produce special
Leica cameras for collectors. Since the boxes with Leicas inside would
be worth much more SEALED than if opened, the Leicas would just be
shells without any working parts inside. To prove the cameras were
in the box, it was proposed that an x-ray photo of the interior be
handed to the purchaser. This would be a profit center. The question
is: Have they begun to produce this camera? And if not, do you think
they will in the furture? Ed Meyers