Subject: Re: should I keep the Leica?
From: "Peter Jon White" <pjwhite@tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 17:00:17 +0000

Colleen asks,

> 1) What's your opinion of using Leica, versus collecting?

I use it. But since my M4 is in such clean condition, I am overly
careful with it. That's why I also use a beat up M3 to take hiking,
cycling, xc skiing, etc.

>Am I correct to assume my Leica equipment will 'depreciate', if the
>use shows, and on the other hand it will 'appreciate' if held and
>not used?

That is certainly true.

> 2)  Why do prices of used Leica drop astronomically if there is a tiny mark
> or two on the equipment?  It seems it should be more important to a buyer
> that a piece of equipment functions--ie the body has been used regularly or
> recently gone over by Leica technicians.

Prices seem to be determined by the collector market rather than the
users. I suspect there are far more collectors of Leica than regular
users.

> 3)  Is a photographer crazy to sell Leica equip they love but doesn't meet
> needs--cost versus return--of a 9-5 photography business?

Not if you can afford to keep it. There are lots of things I would
love to own but I can't afford them. The Leicas I use and can
therefore justify owning them.

> 4)  How do I figure out how much equip is worth, should I actually sell it?

Check the ads in Shutterbug.

> 5) Background you can ignore:
> Leica I use: M4--with a ding on top that was there 15 years ago when I
> bought it and has functioned well--dedicated to a 21/3.4 lens;

It's hard to imagine the dented M4 depreciating much further with
normal use. an M4P used
> 5 years, gets least use and in best condition of the three bodies I own;

Sell it!

> M6--I use the most;
> 35/1.4 canadian; 50/2 chrome wetzler; 90/2.8 elmarit.
>
> I do use Leica becasue it feels nice in hand, it's quiet, compact and takes
> sharp photos.
> I don't use Leica because I can't do macro and telephoto work as
> efficiently as the Nikon the macro 55, and the 180/2.8--and because I
> really like the Nikon 85/1.4; and because I don't want to devalue the
> Leica.

Do you use the Nikon 85/1.4 because of it's maximum aperture or the
larger image in the viewfinder? How often do you use f 1.4 or f 2? I
rarely shoot wide open.

Peter Jon White