Subject: Re: R8 - M6
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:25:28 -0500 (EST)

At 12:07 PM 2/9/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm not knocking the R8... but here, in The States, NOBODY ever buys the
>first model year of a General Motors automobile or truck... they wait until
>GM works the "bugs" out, in the next model year.
>
>Personally, I have observed that the same is true of Nikon Cameras. The
>very first F3's, F4's, and... apparently... F5's all had/have problems that
>were corrected in subsequent issues.
>
>My advice is... wait 'til next year.

I agree completely.  While I'd hate to think Leica is to be equated to GM,
whose production standards are, to put it charitably, not the best, Leica
had a real disaster with the R4 and R4s, cameras which represented new Leica
designs (though Minolta-derived).  The R8 is the first Leica reflex since
then that represents a whole new design.  A word to the wise....

Charlie, MOI
Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU