Subject: Re: Leica RF Competitors
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 08:54:41 -0500

Contax was NOT concerned over patent infringements, as Leitz held no rigid
patents on what was a common enough design even at the time.  Zeiss-Ikon,
after all, uses FP shutters on a number of other cameras at this time.  The
vertical metal shutter was an attempt to make the BEST shutter in the world,
simply put.  It does have a reputation for unreliability, but this is
probably undeserved:  as the noted authority Mike Fletcher keeps pointing
out to me, most top-line professional news photographers in the 1930's
switched from Leica to Contax and did so cheerfully.  (Mike constantly
dredges up pictures of these guys in World War II lugging a Rolleiflex and
Contax II.)  Certainly, I have not found the Contax shutter to be
dramatically worse than the Leica TM shutters for accuracy or reliability,
though the shutter tapes do wear and break with time.

(I have replaced these but now send all mine out to be serviced.  Kids,
don't try this at home unless you are imbued with the patience of Job and
have no distractions at all for a day or so.)

As to the leaf shutter, this was adopted for many reasons but, primarily, to
provide flash synch.  For reasons know a bit unfathomable, designers in the
1930's saw the addition of flash synch internally as a difficult chore, and
so the use of a leaf shutter got around this neatly.  And it wasn't just
Kodak which did so:  Voigtlander used a leaf shutter on the Prominent, as
did Zeiss Ikon on the Postwar Contaflex and Agfa as well.

I've owned and used all these cameras.  All have their own ambience.  I
prefer Leica for daily shooting, but find even a Prewar Contax an awesome
tool.  And those Zeiss lenses, simply put, cannot be beat.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!