Subject: Re: Help with trade
From: Mark Bergman <BMWR100R@mwci.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:47:15 -0800

Nicolas Levinton wrote:

> I recently posted a message asking for help in this trade: I am considering giving my mint 50 f/2 Summicron + 220$ to the dealer, for a used 35 f/2 Summicron used, made in Canada (sn: 3062796). He sells it individually for 833$.
> I received all kind of good pieces of advice through e-mail, but nobody could tell me about quality/performance of this particular Canadian model. Some people told me that in the history of the 35 Summicron, there have been some problematic batches.
>
> Could somebody help me with this?
>
>         Thanks.
>                 Nicolas Levinton. SPAIN
>                 nicolev@jet.es

All the 35 Summicrons were/are great lenses.  I have one close in serial
number to the one your looking at and it performs on par with the same
vintage 50 Summicron.  I've used a lot of Leica lenses over the years
and I really believe people are splitting hairs when they start arguing
about which version of a lens is better.  $833 for a clean 35 sounds
about right and a minty 50 is worth 500~600 so it sounds like a fair
trade. My only advice would be to buy the 35 and keep the 50.