Subject: Re: CL with 50mm
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 22:11:07 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, David Young wrote:

> At 08:50 AM 07/02/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >Tim,
> >
> >You are correct, there is a 50mm frameline which comes up in the CL
> >w/ a 50mm lens. I don't have the slip from Leica readily at hand, but
> >there were restrictions on using the DR, the 50mm - need help here
> >guys - what is it Summilux? Noctolux?
>
> >Back on the subject of the Leica CL. I understand the 50mm lens will
> >show the correct frame line when attached but which of the 50's can and
> >which can not be used.
> >Thanks again,
> >Tim Spelich
> >
> >Brian Levy, J.D.
> >Scarborough Ont.
> >

> LUGnuts!
>
> When the  Summilux f1.4 and Noctilux f1.2  5omm's are used on the CL, they
> MUST be stopped down to at least f2 - I gather to get proper coverage of the
> frame w/o too much fall off, though I have no idea why this would be.  The
> Noctilux f1.0 should *not* be used on the CL.
>
> Use of the 90mm Summicron f2 is also proscribed. Again, I dunno why. Anyone
> know why?
>
> Cheers!
>

> -----------
> David Young             | The customer always right! Misinformed
> Victoria, B.C. CANADA   | perhaps, confused, fickle, sometimes
> youngs@IslandNet.com    | even abysmally stupid.  But never wrong!

I believe that the taboo of not using faster than an f/4 90mm and
a 50mm f/2 is that the rangefinder base on my CL is too short to
produce accurate focus with the wider apertures. The taboo on
the retracting lenses is that they would destroy the CdS cell
sitting in front of the film plane. My 50mm f/s Summicron works
well with the CL. I think that there may be another restriction,
but I can't remember what it is. Ed