Subject: Re: Lean M3 Question
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 09:10:52 -0500

At 10:08 PM 2/5/97 -0700, Ben Holmes wrote:

>I suspect that metal was a cheaper option. Does anyone know what's in the SM
>bodies? Glass or metal?

The LTM bodies all had metal pressure plates.  The glass plate was
introduced in the M3 for film flatness.  It was replaced with a metal plate
due to static electricity streaking the film under dry conditions.  I have
owned several glass-plate M3's and have never experienced this:  I suspect
you need to be where it is REALLY dry, like the Gobi Desert, for the problem
to occur.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!