Subject: Leica slide projectors
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <n5xrd@telepath.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 14:04:17 -0600

I have a Leica Pradovit P 2002 projector with both the Superplan-P 90mm
lens, and the Colorplan-P CF (curved field) 90mm lens.

I also have a Leica Pradolux RT-300 projector (made by Singer in the US and
takes Kodak Carousel trays) with the older Colorplan CF 90mm lens in the
plastic sleeve. The number on the sleeve is #37133.

My 1982 Handbook of the Leica System shows some focusing sleeves of the 1500
and 1500 projectors, but nothing on the RT-300.  These are different numbers
than on the sleeve I have.  I know that sleeve #37133 will work in the Kodak
projectors, as I used to have a Kodak Ektagraphic III ATS, and it worked on
it with the Leitz lens. Worked great!!

I gave the RT-300 to my daughter and then had nothing but trouble with the
ATS - slides popped, couldn't get sufficient sharpness accross the field
using cardboard mounts, enev with the CF lens.  Bought Golden Navitar 100mm
lens and it didn't work any better.  Yes, I could have glass mounted the
slides - but that is a real pain (used to have a Hassy 2 1/4 projector -
WOW, but cost more than $1/slide to mount, and 80 slide tray cost about $ 80
as I remember)

I hadn't had that trouble with the RT-300, as I remembered.  Went nuts and
bought the P-2002, above.  First time using the cardboard slides with the
Superplan (FF Lens) with new slides just back from Kodak - Kodachrome, and
everything was like I remebered it - little popping and sharp enough.  I
measured the temp at the gate of the ATS and, as I remember now, it was
something like 180+ deg. Haven't been able to measure the P-2002, but I
either read it in some of their literature or called them (I think I did),
and the figure at the gate I got was about 90 deg.  This would seem borne
out by what I have observed.

I never have used the Colorplan-P CF lens, it is still in its snazzy looking
silver plastic box!

I traded the ATS to my daughter for the RT-300.  I use it as it will take
the Kodak stack loader.

Hope this helps.

Dick Hemingway
Norman, OK