Subject: XTOL and TMAX 100 (was "what the hell is...")
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 18:19:08 -0500

It appears that the high-lights are thin, implying underdevelopment.  I
exposed the film at an EI of about 80, developed in XTOL 1:1 for 10 min at
20=BA C.  The same results for two separate rolls (one 35mm, the other 120).
I have also used XTOL with HP5 film, following Kodak's recomendations, with
excellent results.  It is only with TMAX that I am a little fearful of using
it without further testing.

Since sending the original post, I went and printed one of the negs.  I gave
about 20% less time then my "standard" printing time, and used a 3 1/2
filter on Multigrade IV (I usually try to print with 2 or 2 1/2 filters).
The print appeared surprisingly good.  The grain is much less noticeable
than similar negs with D76, but the accutance does not appear to be as high.
However,  there is a smoothness in the tonality that I usually see only in
medium format.