Subject: Re: What the hell's a FIE?
From: ireland@blazenet.net (Robert Brummett)
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 09:43:53 -0500

>Didn't R. Beamon use that word once or twice here?
>
>Anyway, I collect things. Some things I merely accumulate. It seems to me
>that as the really fine examples of Leica gear get squirreled away, the less
>pristine gear gets bought up by those who wish that they had started
>"collecting" earlier. At some point the remaining examples are not desirable
>to the glass cabinet set. These are for us. If one uses his/her head nice
>"user" gear can still be had at a reasonable price. Every once in a while a
>minty item will become unearthed and will lay at your feet begging to be
>bought for a song.
>
>I used to think Marc Small was off his nut when he would describe some of
>his purchases. Recently I've begun to open my eyes and have found what guys
>like Marc have known for some time. There are Leicas out there, hidden in
>closets, stored in attics, just waiting for someone to come along and
>discover them. I would not be true to my form if I didn't bring up the MINT
>M3 DS that I bought from Eric Welch's friend. I paid $600.00. To Marc,
>unseen, that was too much. When it arrived I knew that I had scored. I have
>a fellow who will write me a check tommorrow for $1,800.00 for the camera.
>I've decided that my luck has probably been used up on this find so I'll
>keep it. In a decade or so my son will probably end up with it. Until then
>I'm gonna scratch it up a bit and shoot some slides with it. He'll have to
>wait.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ben W. Holmes
>
>Boulder, CO
>USA
>
>bholmes@frii.com

Can't help but respond to your post re your M3 DS find. I, too, have such a
tale. In 1970 a friend, knowing of my photo compulsion, brought me a lovely
(definitely "minty"!) M3 with 50/2 Summicron (hood, too) in red plush box
and original manual, old meter, adjustable viewfinder, etc. I asked him how
much he wanted for it. I didn't know much about Leicas then, but when he
quoted his figure I told him it was too low. (Idiot!) No, he said, that's
what he wanted and he thought it was fair since he knew I would use it and
appreciate it. I gave him a little more than that (yes, he's still a
friend) and have used that camera since. It's now developed a bad case of
scrofula of the leather hide, but still does just fine for me hanging
around my neck with its kid cousin an M4 and occasionally banging into a
brace of Nikons, too. I don't have a glass case.

Robert