Subject: Leica R4 cameras falling apart?
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 07:33:17 -0500 (EST)

Two weeks ago I was getting ready for a ten day visit
to Paris. I got out my R4 and opened the back to blow out
any dust. Lo and behold I discovered that the foam gaskets
in the door and camera back had crumbled to tiny pieces
and had fallen into the camera.
I'd say that this "Minolta XD-11" body has a problem. And
I suspect this is happening all over the world.
I checked my Minolta SLRs and same thing has happened.
Is Leica aware of this bad Public Relations problem?
And what are they doing about it?
I'm a former Executive Editor at Popular Photography from
the 1970s and 1980s. My Minoltas and R4 are my trusted
SLRs (among others). I doubt if the camera magazines would
touch this subject.
Any suggestions from the Leica group? E. Leitz would have
recalled the cameras and fixed them. What's the chances
now?