Subject: Re: Film (off topic)
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 08:09:54 +0545 (+0545)

At 08:13 AM 23/01/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Since a lot of folks on the list are doing their own darkroom work, I was
>wondering if anyone had suggestions for purchasing black and white
>chemistry and film through the mail. It's pretty expensive locally here,
>but I have some hesitation about ordering through B&H or some such place.
>Has anyone found a good source?

        I have had good luck ordering and dealing with Calumet even when
doing the ordering by fax from Nepal.  I usually have shipments sent to
friends who are coming over for a visit or have them sent to Canada for
pickup when I am visiting there.  They also sell Zone VI equipment (which I
think is some of the best and most dependableequipment going) and Brilliant
paper which is also great.  If you request catalogs from them be sure and
ask for  "Essentials - The Photographers Supply Catalog".  This one lists
fast moving supplies and they work hard at making sure that everything in
the catalog is in stock at all times.  If an item is not in stock when you
order they will ship as soon as it comes in and they will pay the shipping.

        I assume that you are living in the states, but if not I also find
Williams of Hove in Brighton, England, Lens & Shutter in Vancouver, BC,
Canada, and AV Camera in Bangkok all to be good people to deal with.

        Living where I do it is important that I have a company that I can
rely on to ship what and when they say they will as if I miss a connection I
can go for months be I am able get supplies again.  Needless to say, when I
am in Canada I buy in bulk and bring a shipment back in with me.

        If you need any further info on any of these places just let me know.

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal