Subject: Re: Off subject (somewhat)
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 18:18:47 -0500

At 10:02 AM 23-01-97 -0800, you wrote:
[snip]

>Usually I have the pleasure to leisurely do zone metering or bracketing
>or shooting of a whole roll a fixed exposure and then snipping for
>exposure.  Shooting 45 rolls, most on program automatic with slide film,
>especially with $5,000 at stake if I blow it left me a little sleepless
>until I saw film.  But I have seen all this morning and I wasted some
>good sleep time.
>
>Donal Philby
>San Diego

[snip]

In spite of that success story with that first roll of slide film, I still
use that camera in manual mode about 95% of the time.  And if I were ever to
buy the F5, I would probably use it in manual mode most of the time also.
When I am shooting a model (at my expense) I use my Minolta Spotmeter; I
then KNOW that the exposures will be what I want.  With "P" mode (whether
its my Minolta 9xi or the new Nikon F5), I can be pretty sure that the
exposures will be OK, but that's just not good enough (for me, anyways).

Dan C.

p.s.  I find that the next best meter, besides my Minolta Spotmeter F is my
M6s built in meter. There no fooling around with it.  I always know what it
is reading and how to compensate. Manual mode Matrix metering, or 60/40
center weighting for that matter, never gives me a feel for what is going on.