Subject: Re: Coverage of Leitz Lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 17:44:42 -0500

At 04:57 PM 1/19/97 -0500, Brian Levy wrote:

>What would the purpose of the larger coverage area be for a 4.5 lens?
>LEitz,Leica didn't work with MF or LF that I am aware of. Was it just for
>the smaller aperature capability?

Well, Leitz lenses were used on occasion on MF cameras in the '30's -- there
are Nagel folders which came with Leitz lenses, Summars and Milars, I
recall.  They may have been used on LF as well -- a 4.5/200 was a pretty
sexy object at the time, given the slew of f/6.3 and f/11 lenses which then
populated the camera stores.

I don't know the reason -- I just know it is a bit of old Leica lore.
Whether it is uniformly true, I cannot say -- though I do know some Hassie
1000F photographers who regularly use the 4.5/200 Telyt on their cameras and
claim they get full coverage.  But I never did this back in my Kiev 88 days,
though I did have the adapter and the lens at that point.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!