Subject: MR4 meter calibration
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 11:47:47 -0500

You wrote:

> Dear Leicafolk,
>
> I use a M4-2 to which I have added a black MR meter - the one with the
> 90degree angle of view, light reading lever on top, battery check on front.
> I use this kit mostly for available light "street" photography, with
> 35/50/90mm lenses.
>
> Snip, etc. etc.

I take a Kodak 18% gray card, tape it to an outside wall in direct, even
light, no glare, then take a Minolta Spotmeter and take a reading from the
center. Then I take the MR4 with my 90mm lens (so the finder frames are in
place and I don't have to hold the lens index lever and try and push the
meter button at the same time) and while holding the camera to my eye and
framing take a reading. I have zeroed the MR4 by turning the screw on the
bottom as per other user's instructions (without battery in place). In order
to coordinate MR4 with spotmeter I compensate with ASA (ISO) dial until they
agree. Then I take an incident reading of the same scene and if I'm within a
half stop I'm happy. Meters will drive you nuts.

As for technique, since the meters want to average everything to an 18%
gray, I accomodate them by taking general readings (while camera is just
hanging at my chest) as I wander around in different light conditions. I try
to find something to point at that has a good range of different
reflectivities so the meter can do its thing. If it's a tricky lighting
situation and enough time I'll meter critically. Or carry the incident also
and just pop occassional readings as I go.

And finally, that's why they invented neg film and exposure lattitude. I've
heard that Cartier-Bresson's black & white negs are a bitch to print
(although I've also read in here that his transparencies are all useable and
accurate per roll- go figure). Sometimes technically accurate is not
esthetically interesting. Look at all the great fuzzy photos out there that
still move people with their wonderful emotional content. Subjectivity is so
wonderfully human even in a technically precise user's group like the LUG.

Carl Socolow
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.
Johnson.