Subject: Re: (QUESTAR) Re: The Leica of... Questars.... off-topic
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 13:34:18 -0500

At 10:33 AM 1/12/97 -0400, Fred Ward wrote:

>2. We have truth in advertising laws here, and Questar was then
>advertising f/stops. What was advertised and what was printed was not
>so.

Fred, this is an issue with ALL mirror-lenses and with a lot of conventional
designs, as well.  The f/stop is a mathematical calculation -- Questar did
nothing dishonest by advertising the scope as an f/14.  It's just that the
useful number for a photographer is the t-ratio.  Those of us who use a lot
of mirror lenses generally are experienced enough to ask the right questions
and to evaluate the answers appropriately.

Incidentally, this same issue arises with every manufacturer of cat lenses,
from Asahi to Zeiss -- yet ALL list their wares by f/stop, even though the
lenses are a bit slower.  Test a Canon or Nikon mirror-lens and you'll find
the same situation exists.  The only exception to this was Kilfitt/Zoomar,
and they were forced by market pressures to revert to using f/stops in their
literature, as pro photographers at the time accused THEM of 'fraud' by not
using the same standard others used.  Nonetheless, Kilfitt continued to list
the T-stops in their spec tables.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!