Subject: Re: I just bought a IIIA
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 15:07:35 -0500

At 12:14 PM 1/11/97 -0700, Ben W. Holmes wrote:

>I just shook hands over the phone on a IIIA, 50 Summar and 90 Elmar. The
>camera and 50 are 1937 prod., the 90 is 1949. This is my first screw mount
>and I'm excited. I should get it next week by mail. Anybody know anything
>about a "universal finder" for this camera? What is it?
>
>It's snowing like crazy here. I cannot see my car. Chris F.: are you here or
>CA? If you're in CA, stay there, it's much nicer I am certain.

I would presume that a 'universal finder' would be an IMARECT, an auxiliary
VF used because the TM Leicas do not change frame-lines with a change of
lens.  Thus, you need an auxiliary VF when a lens of other than 50mm focal
length is used.

Congratulations on this fine purchase.  The IIIA has the older composite
body and is not quite as strong as the later IIIc/f/g models, but is
otherwise a wonderful device.  You can now start accruing some of the superb
after-market lenses available for this jewel, ranging from the 19mm Canon to
the 200mm Komura, not to mention the 2X teleconverters available from Komura
and FED.  This is one rich system!  (I will restrain myself from inserting a
commercial plug for my forthcoming book on this subject.)

As to California weather versus Colorado weather, please!  Idiots who like
sun ought to move to dull areas which have nothing else.  Those of us who
can appreciate good cold, snowy, lousy weather are the ones who should be
blessed to live in normal climates.  Besides, who needs smog?

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!