Subject: Re: Leica quality control
From: John Van Stelten <focalpt@ecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:14:55 -0700

I have to get into this discussion about the quality of Leica, as it is now as
compared to yesteryear.  I have been into all of them, so let me give you that
perspective.

The only changes to the M6 that may use lower quality parts, are changes
where there was no other option.  To keep up to date, like having a hot shoe, it
became necessary to use a plastic block instead of the cast metal block (metal
being a conductor of electricity), which wouldn't work very well.

There are other things that may have reduced costs, such as an aluminum top
deck instead of brass, which doesn't bother me in the least.  The quality of the
rewind knob is good enough, unless you drop it.  If you want the most durable
camera ever, get yourself an old Nikon F, it doubles as a framing hammer.

The main Leica parts that I am interested in, are the same quality as in 1954.
The chassis,take up rollers, curtain drums, slow speed escapement, transport
gears,rangefinder are the important components and there quality is 1st class.

John Van Stelten
Focal Point Inc.