Subject: Re: Leica ain't perfect...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:16:31 -0500

At 08:10 AM 1/10/97 -0800, Mark Bergman wrote:

>Stefan Kahlert wrote:
>>
>> I would not dare to say that a M2, 3, 4 is more reliable than a
>> recent M6 because most users nowadays can't tell how much fixing the
>> camera needed after it came right of the factory.
>
>None or damn little, which is why Leica has the reputation it does.  it
>certainly wasn't founded on the cameras built after the M4.

No, that isn't right.  Leica made a great production in the '50's and '60's
about the need to have your camera serviced annually.  Look at the warranty
cards and the IB's for the M3 and M4.  MOST Leicas of this vintage probably
have had massive service along the way.

An easy check:  the top screw holding the lens-mount is covered with a wax
when it leaves the factory.  If the camera needs any sort of serious
service, this will be broken.  Leica service centers replace the wax with a
different seal on it;  other repair shops do not replace it at all.

I work a LOT of shows:  an M2, 3, or 4 with an unbroken seal is a rare item,
indeed, and brings a hefty premium in the collector's market.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!