Subject: Re: the Leica of...
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 03:38:11 -0500

   From: Mark_Bishop@ipc.co.uk
   Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 16:36:09 +0000

   Among the topics raised among the LUG digests which I received over
   Christmas and only recently read, was one which asked members to
   nominate other products which they felt represent 'the Leica of...'
   a particular field.

   ...Anyone else want to nominate their favourites?

This is kind of off-topic, which is the reason I didn't reply the
first time it went around.  But since I'm usually so on-topic, I
figure I'll go off a little today.

Kitchen equipment:

Kitchenaid mixer (any Kitchenaid).  (U.S.)  Indestructible.  All
metal, very powerful, planetary motion, big tools, one switch.

Waring Anniversary blender.  (U.S.)  Heavy metal base, glass vessel,
one switch.  Mine came with instructions on sterilizing if used for
bio materials in a laboratory.

Dualit toaster, commercial model.  (U.K.)  All metal.  This is the
Toaster of the Apocalypse.  Big as a truck battery, and about as
heavy.  Simple lever to raise and lower toast -- no springs except in
the mechanical timer.  Like with a view camera, the absence of
interlocks sometimes leads one to trigger the shutter (start the
timer) without removing the darkslide (plugging in the power cord).
Unexposed toast is the result.

All of these are classically styled, made as they have been for about
50 years.  Expensive, but they don't break, and they make you happy
every time you use them.