Subject: Leica and Everest
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 00:30:47 -0500

At 05:53 PM 1/9/97 -0800, Jim Brick wrote:

>If you climb to the top of Everest, you take an M Leica. You don't take a
Contax G.

The possible first ascent of Everest would have been documented by the Zeiss
lens on the camera taken along by Mallory and Irvine, a Kodak VP.  And the
historical first ascent was documented by the Zeiss lens taken on the camera
carried by Sir Edmund Hillary, a Prewar Retina.  Both lenses were, of
course, Tessars.

In all fairness, if I were climbing Everest today (and this is NOT bloody
likely, I hasten to add!) I'd schlepp either a Rollei TLR or a Leica M6 along.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!