Subject: TheTiltall story (Was Re: thanks for tripod help)
From: John Irvin Buford <jbuf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 13:37:52 -0800

Tiltall tripods were conceived an originally built by an amateur
photographer who manufactured Ice cream machines.  He could not find a
light weight tripod that was sturdy enough for his needs.  SO he designed
and built the Tilt-All.  They became and over night success.
Unfortunately he only made them in the slow season.  SO for every one he
made there was always a waiting list for them.  I was around 16 years old
when I saw and got my first tiltall.  My mother had sent me downtown with
$60.00 to buy a new coat.  I bought a new tripod. (which I still have)
The demand became so great for these things that he sold the  rights to
at least two different companies.
	THe original tiltalls came in chrome and later they were
available in black.  Then Goldstar began making a version that is easy to
spot because it had some plastic parts, they also made a version with a
geared center column.   These did not hold up at all.  Somewhere around
this time Leica got into the game and began producing them in the black
finish, and they also produced a smaller version, also a great tripod.
The Leitz tiltall was my first Leica purchase.

	I was very fortunate because I know a rep that carried the
original tiltall tripods and he sold me about six moths ago a new in the
box unit.  I now use this tripod for everything upto 4x5.  For really
heavy stuff, like my aluminum 8x10 camera I have a pair of Majestic
tripods.

John