Subject: Re: Used Leicas?
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 20:12:10 -0500

At 04:21 PM 06-01-97 EST, Russ wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm new to this list and this is my first posting.  Please forgive me
>if this question has been asked to death.
>
>I'd like to buy a Leica M series camera, but a new one is beyond my
>means.  A used one in good working order would be fine, but even these
>are a bit expensive for me.  The used Leica M's I see advertised in
>magazines seem to emphasize their fine condition so I suspect that they
>are geared more towards collectors.  I'd like a Leica to actually use
>for taking pictures.  Does anyone know where I could find a used Leica
>M (the later the model the better) that is in good working order, but
>is perhaps too worn for a collector to be interested in, and is, hence,
>lower in price?  Say in the $300- $600US range?

This is a very good question.  Almost all (or all; I can't think of any
exceptions) of the ads I see in Shutterbug are for exc+ and above condition.
Some establishments even imply that they will not sell anything below exc
condition.  Where are all those beat up "fair to good" Leicas that are
probably perfectly good picture taking machines?

Dan C.