Subject: Re: M6 Shutter Failure
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 06:18:11 -0500

At 10:55 AM 02-01-97 -0800, Stephen wrote:
>"Legendary" M shutter reliability is just that--a Legend which is not
>fact.
>
>Before hoisting me by my cassettes, hear me out.
>
>The M shutter is a sophisticated, precision piece of equipment.  If used
>and exercised regularly and given a CLA when needed, the shutter will
>last a lifetime--or several lifetimes.
>
>The problem is that in the real world,  cameras often sit for years
>without attention or used or years without a CLA. ...[snip]

I make it a point at least once a month of hauling out all my seldom used
camera equipment and clicking each shutter speed several times.  I  recently
bought a Nikon F2  from a friend.  He was the original owner  (he bought it
in 1971) and used the camera only on vacations and even then only rarely.
The first thing I did was take it to a rapair facility (non- Nikon).  The
guy told me that he couldn't measure the shutter speeds because the curtains
wearn't moving at the same speeds (I think its called 'tapering').  I played
with the camera for about a week and then took it to Nikon.  The shutter
speeds were all within tolerances.  I had it checked a third time at a
camera clinic and the speeds were almost perfect, except for the 1 sec which
was maybe .85 sec, not too bad.  So yes, I would say that the F2 shutter, as
long as it is exercised, is quite durable.

>How could the M shutter be improved?
>
>Obviously the shutter curtains themselves.   Cloth is not the most
>durable design.  Nikon started used Titanium in 1959.  They may get
>worn, but they never seem to wear out.
>
>The shutter speed range could be extended too.   Nikon had a 10 sec to
>1/2000 range back in 1970 with the F2.   I can think of no reason other
>than cost savings and stubbornness that Leica does not extend the M6
>shutter speeds.

If you are saying that Leica should replace the cloth shutter with a similar
one to the Nikon F/F2, I would have to disagree.  Have you HEARD what the
Nikon shutter sounds like?  I think that if there is one absolutely
satisfying feature of the Leica, it is the quietness of its shutter.

And while we are talking about Nikon,  I bought myself a used 85mm f1.4 lens
for it a week ago.  So far it is giving my 75/1.4 summilux-M a real run for
the money.  I am going to try to do some real life comparisons and decide
for sure, but in a few months I won't be surprised if I put the summilux up
for sale.

Dan C.