Subject: Re: Jupiter 50mm/1.5 user report
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:28:00 -0500

Hmm.  I FINALLY received the publication notice for my forthcoming NON-LEITZ
LEICA THREAD-MOUNT LENSES (order your copy early!  due out in March, '97,
from Rita Wittig Fachbuchverlag).  In there, I warn about the late chrome
lenses such as yours -- quality control is quite uneven.  And yours comes
from the Zagorsk Plant, not noted for its QA/QC.  Though I have a lens much
like yours, and I've not noticed the coma myself.

The best of the Jupiter-3's are the early chrome lenses (to '60 or so) and
the late black lenses ('86 or so and later).

I'll shoot a roll at f/1.5 on both of my Jupiter-3's (the other is an '87
from an as-yet unidentified plant known to researchers as the
'swirled-eyeball factory' from its distinctive logo) and see what I find out.

Best wishes for the New Year!

Marc

Marc James Small  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Thalla, a Bhallagair!