Subject: Re: Hats?
From: jredfern@drumdancer.com (J. Redfern)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 16:26:53 -0500

>No doubt about it, except why aren't they known as the Canadian tourist
>hat, since they originate there?

For the same reasons that Canadian tourists festoon themselves with maple
leaf emblems when abroad: because of their accents and apparel they will be
mistaken for americans which is understandable when you look at the sizable
population difference between the US and Canada and the commensurate amount
of american tourists to be found taking in eight european capitals in
twelve days.

>The Tilley hat and knockoffs are unusual these days, but do require that
>you know when to wear them.

Well, here in Canada, they are more ubiquitous than unusual.

>To me, the silliest hat is the Baseball hat, especially for
>photographers, since they have to be turned backwards to use the camera
>vertically.  And for sailing you need a cord and clips to connect hat to
>jacket so it doesn't fall off in the wind and into the water, and when
>you turn the hat backwards to shoot, the cord gets all tangled.  If
>there is any "american Tourist" hat, surely the baseball cap is it.  It
>has absolutely no class at all.
>
>I just wish I still had plenty of hair on top so a hat would not be so
>important against the sun.
>
>So "J," what is the best hat for a photographer that meets the standards
>of acceptance around the world and doesn't look silly??

I wouldn't have a clue. Like Marc, I have a full head of hair and only wear
a hat at 30 below in which case it's a leather bomber with wolf lining in
which, I freely admit, I look very silly. (But my ears stay attached to my
head which is how I like them and there's noone around to see me.)

>Donal Philby
>Sunny San Diego (where I went sailing yesterday in a T-shit)

I would suggest you trade up to a more refined sailing boat.
"J"