Subject: Re: "Point 'n Shoots"
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 96 02:00:18 -0800

>But when I reduced its feature set to my needs, I
>realized that there is no (reasonably simple) way of using filters.  Most of
>my work is black and white.  About 80 percent of my non-people pictures (80
>percent of my work is non-people pictures).  About 80 percent of this 80
>percent are made with yellow filters.

Rollei 35s, Contax TVS, Minox 35s, Konica Hexar all allow the use of
filters.
Most of my photography is B&W and I often use yellow, orange and green
filters
on the Rollei 35s. The Contax TVS is quite appealing to me due to the
28-56mm
lens, the same size filters as the Rollei, and the very thoughtfully laid
out
controls/features. The lack of filter capabilities for the Nikon was one
factor
in my eventual frustration with the 35Ti, and one of the reasons I sold
it.

> the single focal length vs many focal length issue

There are as many different ways to go about this as there are
photographers.
I also had the same feeling of liberation when I first obtained an SLR
and
a couple of lenses. Curiously, now, I find I do better photography when I
force myself into working with some limitations, and I find that the
medium
normal lens (40-50mm) is what helps me to see well. Occasionally I like
the superwide and the long focus (which is why I keep one system camera
around)
but most of the time a 28, 35, 45mm lens is all I want/need to see.

I find that the compactness and convenience, the ability to have the
camera
with me all the time, counts for more in my photography than having many
options. The Leica M was too large for me to do that comfortably with, as
is
the Nikon FM. The Rollei 35 and the Minizoom work well, the TVS would also
suit me.

There's nothing wrong with your viewpoint and your needs either. Whatever
works to help make fine pictures is all that's important.

Godfrey