Subject: Re: "Point 'n Shoots"
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 10:12:03 -0500 (EST)

Hi Friends,

Happy Holidays to all.

I'm responding to a recent run of discussion on upscale point and shoot
cameras for use in general photography.  One member extolled the virtues of
same for use as a sole camera in far off photo-treks, primarily owing to
simplicity and light weight.  It got me thinking (because I recently sold my
35 Summicron since I couldn't see the frame lines in the M finder) how I
could use one of these little gems - the Leica Minilux, Contax T2 or Nikon
35 TI.

After spending many hours perusing the spec sheets and sales brochures I
came to a very firm understanding of their potential usefulness to me (and,
possibly, to other photographers).  I have no doubt that these machines are:
quick handling, lightweight and have fantastic optics.  I have no doubt that
the quality is superb.  But when I reduced its feature set to my needs, I
realized that there is no (reasonably simple) way of using filters.  Most of
my work is black and white.  About 80 percent of my non-people pictures (80
percent of my work is non-people pictures).  About 80 percent of this 80
percent are made with yellow filters.

The other thing I realized is that the single focal length (WHATEVER the
length) has severe limitation.  This took me back to the days of the 1960s,
when, as a kid learning photography, all I had to work with was a Rolleiflex
with its fixed focal length lens.  My whole world changed (as did the
breadth and quality of my image-making) when my dad brought home our first
SLR with interchangeable lenses (an Agfa - since he worked for them).  I
still print from many of those old negatives to this day.

I'm not trying to start a flame war over this topic.  I am saying that the
discussion did cause me to think on the subject and I came around to the
same place I left off 30 years ago.  I still have, love and use my old
Rollei 3.5F but find it severely limiting.  Most of my best (landscape work)
images are made with the 50mm and 150mm lenses on my Hasselblad or the
equivalent on the Leica.  Please don't tell me that I need to 'free up my
thinking,' etc. and adjust my way of visualizing images.  Since photography
is SO important to me, I'll stick with the flexibility of interchangeable
lenses and the ability to use filters.

Curt

Elizabeth Mei Wong
Henry Curtis Miller, M.P.A.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
In the Berkshires, next door to Tanglewood