Subject: Re: Minilux
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 01:58:11 +0000

In article <199612262033.OAA02554@telepath.com>, "Richard W. Hemingway"
<n5xrd@telepath.com> writes
>"Of course, when focusing is effected by hand, the AF module and the
>automatic exposure metering (which normally work in unison) are disengaged."
>Then in the next paragraph it continues:
>"This means that once the lens has been focused manually at infinity it is
>still possible to take a substitute exposure reading on the foreground and,
>maintaining slight pressure on the shutter release button, store the value
>before re-framing the subject."

That is not worded well, but I understand it to mean that

a] With autofocusing set, both distance and exposure are locked
simultaneously by first pressure on the shutter release. You cannot lock
just exposure even if you wanted to for (say) a backlit subject by
locking exposure from a reading from an alternative subject, without
also locking the focusing distance to your alternative subject at the
same time. If your alternative subject was at the same distance as the
chosen subject this would be ok, otherwise it would be a problem.

b] With manual focusing set on a chosen subject distance, which might or
might not be infinity, if you had (say) a tricky backlit subject, you
could lock an exposure reading on something other than the subject and
the focusing would remain at the manually set distance you had chosen.
- --
Joe Berenbaum