Subject: R cameras (long)
From: John Irvin Buford <jbuf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 21:07:05 -0800

Chris:
	I do not know which lenses will work on an SL2, I have only
handeled one momentarily.  I own both an Strandard, SL, R3, R4, R5, and
R7.  My favorite of all of these is that R7. I have not yet handled an
R8. As far as R lenses go, I own the R 21, 24, 35, 50, 60, 90, 135, 180
and 250.  I also have a Tamron 300 F2.8 and the only zoom is a Tamron
80-200 F2.8 (both of these are great lenses, they just are not as good as
the Leicas) I have the macro adapter and a 2x tele-extender.
	I use M cameras, and love them but I got hooked on looking
through Leica lens.  I find myself grabbing the R camera most of the
time.  The thing I lust for is the 180 F 2.0 it would allow me to get rid
of the 180 F2.8, 250 F4, and both Tamrons.  It would lighten my load
considerably.
    The one word of caution if anyone uses Tamron lenses on there R
cameras.  They will somtime come undone from the mount especially if they
are heavy.  I had a technician insert a pin in mine, you can remove the
mount by removing the pin, but it prevents the mount from coming undone
at an inopertune time.  This does not seem to be a problem with the
smaller lenses.  it looks like a spiral with the tail flattened out, the
flat part slides up under the release back into the mount.  The spiral
fits directly under the release, locking the release into place.

JOhn