Subject: Tripod Adaptors for M cameras
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 18:48:04 -0500

Joe,

One of our colleagues suggested the Nikon AH-3, which I use for my Nikon
2020, that has the tripod bushing off to the side. The AH-3 is a precision
adaptor that has three holes for centering any Nikon. However, it is wider
than the M, as was pointed out.

For my Leica M3 I custom made a base out of wood. You'll need a drill press
to do the job right, and a surform rasp to round the edges of the base.
You'll need 1" and 1/2" and 1/4" bits. You can buy the prethreaded hardware
in any photoshop; they're just those spare knurled knobs that have a
1/4"thread on end and a tapped 1/4" bushing on the other. You'll need two.
One to set into the center of the base held by a recessed 1/4" nut and the
other to fasten to the M base.

If you have a router you can groove out the wood base to hold the M. I chose
to merely attach two thin plastic plates to the wood base, one on either
side, which prevent the M from shifting.

My base was slightly more complicated to make because I designed it to
accommodate the M in its case. It works well and is light. I finished mine in
walnut. But you could spray paint it with a satin black finish. If you sand
all the hardware flush with the woodbase surface, you come up with an
accessory that appears to be part of the M. I suggest you use a hard wood.
Most lumberyards have a bin for this type of short stock and give it away.

It took me the better part of a day to build this piece of equipment because
it must be done with precision. You learn as you work. It'll pay you back in
satisfaction and convenience. It's a great antidote for a bleak winter day.

Bob