Subject: Re: Advice on a trade
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:04:39 -0700 (MST)

Marc James Small pondered:

>I'm really not certain I follow what Ben's needs are.  Most of the Leica
>lenses will focus to .7m (28") or so, and there's always the NF Summicron.
>That ought to fill the frame with the face & hands of an infant.  And 1m
>(40") is the minimum focus on all the 90mm lenses, so this ought to also
>fill the frame as required.

Ben thoughtfully replied:

Actually, Marc, the smallest frame that I can cover with my 90mm is 13.4 X
8.9 in.. I just measured my sons face and found it to be under 6 in. wide.
Now if I wanted to make a picture of, say, his eyes only - or one eye - I'd
have to crop. I don't crop. I use an oversized negative holder and print my
frame edges.

Marc continued to speculate by writing:

>Getting rid of Leica and into another system altogether to fill one narrow
>need which, at least from the information at hand, Leica seems to meet
>already seems of questionable wisdom.

Now, where did I say that I was getting rid of Leica? I said A Leica (of
which I have several). AND it's one that I don't even use. Where did I say
that I was getting "into another system altogether"? I'm considering A
single SLR body w/ a micro lens. As far as my "one narrow need": this is my
first and only child - the most beautiful thing in my life. If this is
considered a narrow need then the world is far worse off than I ever
suspected. He is the absolute center of my universe. Now, if you're going to
suggest that I buy a Viso - please don't. They're cumbersome and quirky at best.

In the mean time, if anyone has some REAL advice, intended to help me not
flog me, please offer it up. If not, hurl some more flames so's I can swat
them down like flies. AAAARRRRRGGGGGGH!!!

Ben Holmes
Pirate of Wall Street