Subject: Re: Shipping Cameras
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 09:05:14 -0500

I certainly cannot argue with Mr Henning J. Wulff's posting on this subject
as he is living the Canadian experience.  But I buy-and-sell a lot with
Canadians, and it is my experience that they get dutied both ways, coming
and going, on all photo gear.  As recently as a month ago, I had a camera
sent me from Ontario which was levied an export tax.  This may not have been
done legally, but 'Imposte du Canada' collected their levy at the seller's
expense before it left the Dominion.

Also, here is THE BIG PROBLEM with UPS and FedEX:

When shipping from the US to ANY foreign destination, including Canada, they
will NOT insure 'unique items', meaning items bearing a serial number which
are not in current production.  The evil part is that they will take your
money for insurance but, if a  claim is made, they will chuckle and say,
'oh, dear, we made a mistake and shouldn't have insured this' and refund
your insurance payment.  The insurance is NOT any good unless the item is
still in production or lacks a serial number.

I was warned of this by a friendly UPS delivery person when I was getting
ready to ship off an $8,000 lens to the Orient.  I spent a day on the phone
with both UPS and FedEX and confirmed this:  they do NOT insure unique items
outside the US.  The Postal Authorities do so, to a dollar limit varying by
treaty from country to country.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!