Subject: Re: Angenieux//zooms tested
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:34:30 -0800

matthew tichenor wrote:

 The Vario Elmar 35-70 was originally made by Minolta, and
> then in 1988 was produced in Germany. The lens is exactly the same
> optically but the German lens does not have a rotating front element,
> thus polariser friendly. The 35-70 is supposed to be an amzing zoom
> lens. I believe that most, if not all of the lenses built by other
> companies for the different Leica systems were built to Leica
> specifications, so theoretically they should all be excellent quality
> lenses, whether this is true in practice is another question. Has anyone
> done any comparisons between lenses built by Leitz and ones built by
> Schneider, Zeiss, Minolta etc. for Leica? If so I would be very anxious

Matthew:

Two week ago I ran side by side on the street testing of the 35-70 Leitz
and the 35-70 F/2.8 Nikkor.  On tripod with quick release, frame by
frame comparison in backlight, direct light, close, far, scenes that
invited flare, the works.  Shot four rolls Velvia total, sleeved to lay
down on light table and neither I nor five other photographers and one
lab owner could tell one from the other.

I have shot some hundreds of rolls with the Nikkor and it is a fine
lens, easy to use.  My major complaint with the lens is that it doesn't
feel as good wen maa fcsing,which is what I use most of the time.  My
major complaint with the Leitz is that it doesn't focus very closely.
Using it I constantly run into the close focus wall.

BTW, also tested newest Leitz 80-200 f/4 against Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8
with same results.

Nels at Leica suggested that the Nikkors are highly regarded optics--top
of the line--and that the Leitz optics tested are at the bottom.  To see
a real difference, he suggested, I would have to test against the APOs,
such as the 100 macro or the new 70-180 f/2.8.

Hope this doesn't burst any bubbles, but it has been a reality check for
me.  It tells me that if I am going to switch to the R-system I MUST
invest in only the most expensive optics to see a difference over my
Nikons.

- --Donal Philby
  San Diego