Subject: Re: 35mm Eyes
From: JayPax@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 00:16:36 -0500

In a message dated 96-12-12 01:56:20 EST, cel14@cornell.edu (Charles E. Love,
Jr.) writes:

<<  In theory, Leica says, a
 manual focus SLR will focus less accurately than an M up to about 135 mm.
 But that proves nothing about an AF SLR. Don't forget that an AF SLR, like a
 RF camera, operates by triangulation.  Can you  give some proof that AF
 SLR's focus less well than manual ones--and under what conditions?   >>

Charles:

That was my point in referring to Keppler's article.  He proved it!
 Admitedly, his test was done with a magnifier on the groundglass, which
conditions we would never use in a real life shooting situation.  He
concluded that under most shooting conditions, you would not be able to tell
the difference between AF and MF.

However, my own observation is that AF, carefully used, is for all practical
purposes just as good.  Where MF is "better" so to speak, is in the fact that
it forces you to be careful where AF allows you to be "careless" in you
methodology,  In other words, it is really more a function of the
photographer and his or her technique.......which is usually the case anyway!

JayPax