Subject: Re: Leica meter MR-4
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 08:54:29 -0700 (MST)

>Greetings from Nepal,
>
>        I just picked up a MR-4 meter for my M4-P and am wondering how to
>zero the thing as needless to say, manuals are in short supply in this
>country.  My guess so far is that you cover the light inlet, turn on the
>meter and then zero it with the screw on the back...

That won't do it. You need to remove the battery, then zero it via the screw
in back. This is per the original manual. Also, don't be afraid to open it
up for a cleaning. First remove the center of the dial - it screws on and
can be removed by grasping the two spanner holes and turning
counterclowckwise. Next remove all of the little screws which go thru the
cover. Then slide the battery test switch toward the cell eye. As you do
this lift the cover off of the assembly. Notice the EXACT date of
manufacture printed on the top of the cover, under where the dial sits. You
can blow out the grunge and clean the window over the cell eye. Put it back
together and enjoy.

ben