Subject: Re: 90 f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit (pro)
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 06:18:48 +0800 (SGT)

>>I was quite impressed with the small compact size until
>>most of my back lighted shots came back with obvious flare. Even a hood (an
>>oversized 12575) did not help much to reduced the flare which made the
>>prints look generally washed out.
>
>I have had excellent results with a 90 f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit.  It has been
>pretty completely flare free, even into the sun.  In comparison, my (older)
>DR Summicron is a very nice lens, but quite flary into the sun.  The slides
>(Velvia, Provia, Sensia, K64) taken with the Tele-Elmarit have been
>noticeably contrasty and sharp, and have a 'harder' look than those taken
>with the DR Summicron.
>
>I have always had great difficulty evaluating lens performance based on
>commercially made prints at any size.  If i make a print myself i have a
>chance to evaluate the neg or slide during the process, under high
>magnification under known conditions.  When i get a print back from a lab, i
>have no idea what they have done.
>
>As an example, recently i got back a bunch of contact sheets which made me
>question the RF accuracy of myself and/or my Fuji 670.  When i got out my
>Emoscop loupe, at 10X and 25X the negatives were quite sharp, so the fact
>that the contacts had been made through a negative file page was probably
>the culprit.
>

>Do you have 'washed out prints' in B&W as well as color?  Does it matter
>what size the prints are, or who has made them?  Are they washed out when
>you make your own prints?  Have you tried transparency film?
>
>If the 90 Summicron is better than the 2.8 (not just 'different', with
>characteristics some folks may prefer) it must be one hell of a lens.
>
>best wishes
>
>ted gosfield

The washed out prints occured on two separate occasions and on prints,
commercially processed by a great lab on 4x6" paper.  I hardly take slides
and very little B&W. In contrast, my 90 summicron is one fantastic lens
which gives me results most pleasing to look at.  The "leica glow" is found
in the 90/2 latest summicron.

Dan Khong