Subject: Re: Summicron & Genealogy
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 12:26:16 -0500 (EST)

At 10:25 AM 12/14/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I hope this straightens things up!  We really have three distinct optical
>designs here, and ought to have had three different lens names.  Leitz/Leica
>confused the issue by carrying over the old name on a new lens (as they did
>on so many other designs as well, though!)

Yes--as you know, their relatively recent practice has been to name lenses
roughly by their speed, rather than by their design, so Summicrons are f2,
Elmarits f2.8, Elmars f4, etc.  But then they violate that too--e.g., with
the collapsible 50 mm. f 2.8 Elmar, the name of which is intended, I
suppose, to get the blood pumping in old Leicaphiles by referring to an old
design!  I guess they see the names now as just marketing tools reminding us
all of their great tradition.

Charlie

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU