Subject: Re: 24mm R lens + polariser?
From: Christopher Hoover <cdhoover@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 09:54:58 -0800

Joe B. wrote:

> I now have a Heliopan series 8 circular polariser to put in the lens
> hood for my 24mm R lens. The wheel on the outside of the lens hood
> should rotate the filter inside. In practice it does do so, just about,
> but with such extreme difficulty and stiffness that it really is not a
> practical proposition. I don't intend to pay UKP 200.00 for a Leica
> circ. pol. and I do wonder if that would have been any better
> mechanically anyway. As far as I can see, in order to use a polariser
> with this lens, I will have to [1] get a 60mm wideangle polariser with a
> normal rotation system using a front ring, and just forget about using
> the lens hood at the same time. Or [2] dig out the 60mm adapter ring
> I've got somewhere for the Cokin P holder and use a Cokin polariser,
> assuming that it doesn't vignette. Anyone have experience of
> (successfully) using a polariser with this lens?
> --
> Joe B.

Joe:
I've been using the 24 with its Leica polarizer and hood for the last
few years. The saturation and color are great, but I'm also unhappy with
the poor mechanics used to rotate the filter. I snap the filter on in
different orientations to get closer to the level of polarization I need
then use the wheel to fine tune. When flare is not such a concern, I
remove the hood and just hold the filter in front of the lens. I wonder
if a replacement wheel might help? My hood was used; does a new one
behave the same way? How do the other wides (the new 19, 21, 28) make
use of polarizers?

Christopher Hoover
cdhoover@pacbell.net