Subject: Re: Mysterious pins on R8 lensmount
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 19:01:34 -0500 (EST)

>At 09:22 AM 12/6/96 -0500, you wrote:

>>It's not that AF 'reduces optical quality':  the concern from Leica and
>>Zeiss is that AF ACCURACY is not good enough to replace manual focusing for
>>critical work, and, apparently, critical work is all that these two
>>companies are interested in their customers doing.  Thus, both the R system
>>and Contax lack AF.  (Yes, yes, I know about the new Contax -- but that is a
>>specialty camera only.)
>>
>>Marc

I think the concern about accuracy is historically correct, that is, it's at
least a partial explanation of why Leitz abandoned its autofocus project.
But it's just not true today, especially with longer lenses.  Indeed, even
with short telephotos some AF systems can be focused accurately  than an M
with the same focal length.  The only  comfort we can take is that an AF SLR
is, in concept, much closer to a rangefinder camera than is a MF SLR.

As for the new Contax--well.  I am sure they don't see it as a "specialty
camera," but as central to the line's survival, as a way to juice up their
sales--indeed, I'll bet they expect it to become a relatively big seller.
But I don't pay tribute to Zeiss for it, since it has a serious problem that
other autofocus systems lack.  The performance of any lens with a floating
element will suffer if it's focused by moving the whole lens back and forth,
rather than by turning the lens barrel, which other AF systems do.  I'm also
not confident that zooms will be too happy, though I'd need to hear from
someone who understands optical design better than I do on that.
Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU