Subject: Re: Frame 39 (was Re: born again)
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 21:49:35 -0500 (EST)

At 10:18 AM 12/2/96 -0500, you wrote:

>More often than not, frame 39 comes back from Kodalux unmounted and
>cut in half.  I'm half tempted to rewind every roll at 37 just so I
>don't miss those pictures that end up sliced.  I guess that it is too
>close to the end such that their automated Kodachrome machine cuts it
>up before processing.

Well, to start with, if at all possible I wouldn't use Kodalux.  There are
still some alternatives for Kodachrome, I think--one is BWC (I think that's
the name) in Miami Beach (if they are still doing Kodachrome--Kodak just
discontinued K64 in medium format and a lot of their business was MF
fashion)--I always found them excellent, and they didn't cut up rolls.

Kodalux, on the other hand....there are lots of stories, but my favorite was
the period of about a year when their machine chopped up the first picture
on every roll of Kodachrome I sent them.  Repeated complaints produced the
response that it must be the camera, but I sent them rolls from different
cameras.  I checked with other photogs, and they had the same problem.

The decision Kodak made to sell their processing to a drugstore processor (a
big one, but low quality--Qualux) was the beginning of the end for
Kodachrome, I think.  It saved Kodak money since they fired all their
experienced staff, but the quality went way down.  I think I heard somewhere
that Kodak boughtthe processing back very recently--anyone know?

Charlie

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU