Subject: Re: Russar 20mm problem
From: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 16:31:05 -0700

>"Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu> wrote:
>> Russars are hit and miss. [...] I haven't had the problem with the front
>> element that the two of you refer to. What I have seen is softness (heck,
>> clearly blurred) in the bottom right corner of my images. I usually shoot
>> at f/16, so this must be a grinding error in the lens. I don't see nearly
>> as much blur in the bottom left. I can't say yet about the top.
>
>Have you compared this with what you get with other non-retrofocus lenses
>of comparable focal length?  Sounds equally possible that the pressure plate
>in the camera is misaligned.  This happened to me after dropping the camera
>onto concrete; I only noticed the effect with my Canon 19mm, longer lenses
>didn't show it.

>jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE

I don't have another wide angle lens to test this with, though potentially
I could borrow a Leica 21 mm from Keeble and Schuchat in order to double
check (it sounds like a fun thing to do anyway).

I'd be surprised if the problem was with the pressure plate. I bought my M6
new in June and haven't dropped it yet. The door seems to close quite
easily, with equal resistance all the way around.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I hadn't considered the possibility.

- -Charlie

              Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Deptartment
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074