Subject: Re: Leica repair books
From: martin@atri.curtin.edu.au (Martin Hill)
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 08:01:13 +0000 (WST)

Hans,

I have Ed Romney's LEICA CAMERA REPAIR and LEICA M2 REPAIR MANUAL. My opinion is
that his stuff is a bit disorganized but does contain some useful information.

The LEICA CAMERA REPAIR is probably the more useful of the two, it contains text
written by Romney saying how to fix common faults. It makes the IMPORTANT point
that to do quite a few of the common adjustments on the Leica M you don't have to
take the camera apart.

The LEICA M2 REPAIR MANUAL has more exploded assembly diagrams which can be
helpful. Also some charts with common faults and how to fix them, though the
important parts of these charts are given also in Leica camera repair.

HOWEVER, I have to say the most informative and easy to follow guide for taking
apart a M Leica (and also best value for money by far!!) is put out by infotech

        Infotech
        PO Box 370884
        Denver, CO 80237-0884

It is a camera craftsman reprint of a only a 5 or 6 pages (from memory) but gives a
very good explaination of disassembly and adjustments, with lots of pictures to
follow. It is also very inexpensive, only a few dollars (though I bought mine a few
years back).

In summary, getting all the above mentioned booklets is probably the best option. If
this is too much then get the infotech one and LEICA CAMERA REPAIR.

Hope this helps

Martin