Subject: Re: Testing M6 Focusing...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 23:06:33 -0500

At 03:53 PM 11/30/96 -0400, Dan C. wrote:

>This is probably going to generate a loy of contradictory replies, but I had
>a similar problem with my M6.  For years I tried to keep the infinity focus
>perect using the full moon or other objects at sufficiently far distances as
>a guide.  Then I noticed that many of my wide open shots with my 75/1.4 were
>out of focus slightly, but always in the same direction.  Further testing
>showed that all of my lenses were off slightly, but only boticeable at wide
>apertures (narrow depth of field).  I took the camera in  to an independent
>camera repair place, and when they finished with it, the focus was perfect,
>except that now the infinity point no longer matched up.  I no longer worry
>about how the rangefinder images line up when focused at infinity.  I am
>satisfied with sharp pictures.

This is an amplification of my earlier post.  There is a SECOND eccentric
screw on the RF cam-follower arm.  This can be adjusted for close-focus if a
situation like this develops -- in-focus at one distance, out-of-focus at
another.  Per Ken Ruth at Bald Mountain, this is a fairly rare situation.

If John Van Stelten is around, his comments would be welcome!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!