Subject: Re: News Equip, was; odd things
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 18:51:02 -0800

Fred,

Thanks for the update.  I guess I was misinformed about the
subscription size.  But even with 9 Million you'd think there should
still be a photo budget.

I interned there many years ago during university (San Jose State in
PJ) and was impressed by the people in illustrations and photo, but
saw so much of what I thought of as P.R.-ization--making everything
nice--that I went away not very interested in working for them.  I was
talking one day to Dick Durrance about my feelings and his response
was: "I keep reminding myself that it is better than shooting
weddings."  My hero magazine was GEO, but we know how far that got.
The irony for me is that now Nat. Geo. is virtually the only magazine
doing anything interesting, meaningful, and substantial (by
comparison).

I've got a reasonable business going with corporate and advertising
clients doing everything from computers to pleasure boats, but still
have the desire to produce meaningful work that ISN'T just designed to
sell, but when I look at moving that direction and how much editorial
pays and how much it costs to stay in business and it looks hopeless.
I just need to produce it as a hobby almost.  But there are a few
photojournalists making it, doing good work, but they are few and far
between.

I've been thinking about associating with an agency like Black Star or
Gamma that handles both editorial and commercial assignments.  Perhaps
you would permit me to ask a few questions about that market these
days???

The top heaviness you mention at NGS is amazing.  It kind of like what
is going on with mergers and so much of American business--the
producers of the products and services are the ones who reap the least
benefit.  We're back to the era of robber barons in different clothes.

A friend of mind said he didn't think editors deserved to be sent
Leica-made pictures.  He'd had three beers and was feeling spitful.

Have a good holiday.

- --Donal Philby
  San Diego