Subject: RE: in between heartbeats
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 13:56:00 EST

>Handheld, available llght, no mirror flipping. No breathing either.
>Some people say they know their heartbeat & can time the release
>accordingly. I'm not sure I believe it.

In target shooting, these techniques are used by many.  One does not
hold their breath - it is better to exhale fully, in a relaxed manner and
shoot prior to inhaling.  The muscles are said to be more relaxed at
this point.

Shooting  between heartbeats is also used.  I can usually feel mine when
I'm concentrating.  With a high-mag scope (or long telephoto) it is possible
to see some movement at the heartbeat.  Maybe this makes it easier
to detect when the beats will occur.  I usually start squeezing the trigger
just as I see the shake in the scope (of the rifle, that is).  By the time
the shot is fired, the shake has died down.  It was making a little
difference
in my scores at the longer distances when I was still shooting.

 - Kevin
kburke@iterated.com