Subject: Re: Screw Mount Lens Thread Size
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 23:49:40 -0500

At 02:04 PM 11/24/96 -0800, Alan Bearden wrote:

>The Leica screw mount is 39mm x 1mm (thread); not 26 tpi.  I just measured
>several using a comparison microscope.

Well, the bulk of my references are at the office, and I'm at the house, so
a quick scan could only locate one.  Peter Dechert, the great scholar of the
Canon RF cameras (and also a scholar of things Leica), wrote on p. 15 of his
CANON RANGEFINDER CAMERAS 1933 - 1968, in explanation of why early Canon and
Nikon LTM lenses will sometimes not mount on Leica cameras:

        ... both Canon and Nippon Kogaku engineers believed that the Leitz
        flange pitch was exactly 1.0mm, when in fact it is 26 threads to the
inch.

I have a copy of the original Leica lens-mount patent, somewhere, and
Barnack set out therein that the mount was 39mm by 26 tpi.  I believe Emil
Keller has a picture of it in his HISTORY OF THE 35mm CAMERA.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!