Subject: Re: A Room for Everybody
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 13:08:14 -0500

At 12:43 PM 11/24/96 -0400, Dan C. wrote:

>Furthermore, I have independently heard the story mentioned in an earlier
>post concerning how Leitz would give cameras to emigrating Jews (when they
>still could) because they were forbidden from taking currencies out of
>Germany.  Is there any evidence that high ranking officers of Leitz (or of
>the Letiz family) were active Nazis?

Well, I don't believe Leitz GAVE cameras to refugees:  I believe refugees
BOUGHT cameras to take with them as they were not allowed to take many of
the more conventional forms of valuata (cash, art, watches, jewelry, specie,
&c &c).

As to Leitz bonzen and their political affiliations, none were members of
the Partei to my knowledge and several of the family -- especially Ernst
Leitz II and Else Kuehn-Leitz, who was imprisoned by the Gestapo for almost
three months in late '43 -- were outspoken to the point of foolishness in
their opposition to the Nazi regime.  Some employees, most notably Benser
and Kisselbach, served as propaganda photographers at the various front;
Kisselbach's cross-channel shots of the Luftwaffe bombers returning over the
cliffs of Dover are too well known to require more than a mention.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!