Subject: Leica and Nazis
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 10:16:38 -0700

Friends,

I am now in the process of studying a post-war edition of a Leica Manual by
Morgan and Lester.

It has several wonderful photographs by Julius Huisgen and Eisenstaedt.
Eisenstaedt also contributed a story. I also have a book of photographs by
David Seymour (Chim).

All of these people were victims of the Nazis and their fellow travelers.
Yet, they continued to use Leicas. I have learned a lot, not just about
photography, by studying their images.

Yes, many Nazis used Leicas. Many of their images were later used in their
trials. Leni Riefenstahl also used a Leica. OK.

I have never heard anyone accuse Leitz of improper behavior. Let's leave
this subject alone, unless one of us has first-hand knowledge of the facts.

Regards,

Chris